If you’re a football fan, it’s not too early to start making plans for the upcoming Super Bowl LVII, which will be held in Phoenix, AZ on Sunday, February 12, 2023. Although we don’t yet know which teams will be entering the big game, we can be sure it will be a huge event in a location that offers visitors many benefits.
Phoenix: A Perfect Winter Destination
If you’re traveling to Phoenix for the Super Bowl, your primary focus will be on the game. However, you’ll also have an opportunity to explore the city and perhaps surrounding areas. You may as well make the most of your trip. If you can arrange it, you may want to try to stay for at least the whole weekend if not longer.
For anyone who lives in a colder climate, the Southwest gives you a chance to escape harsh winter temperatures. The average temperature in Phoenix in February is 72! If there’s snow on the ground where you are and freezing temperatures, a few days in Phoenix will be a welcome relief.
Phoenix is a prime golfing destination. The greater Phoenix area has nearly 200 golf courses to accommodate players of all abilities and preferences. It’s safe to say that no matter where you’re staying around Phoenix, you’re within a short drive of a golf course.
The City of Phoenix has several 9-hole and 18-hole courses, including Papago Golf Course and Cave Creek Golf Course. Hotels and resorts offer their own courses, such as the JW Marriott Wildfire Golf Club and Gainey Ranch Golf Club at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort.
What to do in Downtown Phoenix
Phoenix’s downtown has blossomed in recent years, offering locals as well as visitors a wide array of places to eat, drink, dance, and explore the culture. The following are some things to do while you’re in town.
- Sample a few great restaurants. Phoenix has restaurants to suit all palates, whether your preference is Italian, Mexican, Thai, a traditional American steakhouse, or anything else. The Downtown Phoenix Food Tour gives you a chance to sample a variety of cuisines while also learning about the city’s history.
- Enjoy cocktails at a rooftop bar. Phoenix has quite a few nightlife spots that provide amazing views of downtown, including From the Rooftop at Cambria Hotel Downtown, Alibi Rooftop Lounge at Canopy, and Floor 13 Rooftop Bar.
- Check out the arts scene. Visit one of Phoenix’s many fine museums, such as the Phoenix Art Museum. The Roosevelt Row Arts District is known for its art galleries and murals. This is a fun area to walk around as you explore downtown.
- Visit the Japanese Friendship Garden. If you want a tranquil break from the city, talk an hour wandering around this 3.5-acre garden that has a waterfall, hundreds of koi, and a tea garden.
- Catch the Phoenix Suns. If you’re a basketball as well as a football fan, you might be able to squeeze in an NBA game before or after the Super Bowl. The Phoenix Suns play at their downtown arena.
- See Phoenix from the air. One of the best ways to see Phoenix and surrounding areas is from a helicopter. Western Sky Helicopters run regular 30-minute tours where you can see all the scenery and downtown landmarks from the air.
Downtown Phoenix Festival at Hance Park
Regardless of who ends up playing in the next Super Bowl, the city is preparing for a big party. A week-long free festival is being planned in Margaret T. Hance Park, a 32-acre park within walking distance of the convention center, the site of the game. There will be food trucks, music, and entertainment all week long. There will also be plenty of football-oriented activities. Both current and retired players will be on hand to meet the public and sign autographs. The specific schedule for entertainers and football stars will be announced as Super Bowl week approaches.
Bring Your Camera
The city of Phoenix, as well as the game itself, will provide you with plenty of chances to take memorable photos. You may want to prepare so you can take the best possible photos. After all, seeing the Super Bowl is a once-in-a-lifetime event for many fans. While you’re in Phoenix, you’ll no doubt find many photo-worthy scenes and events, including the suggestions above.
Having a quality camera is always helpful at sporting events. You may even want to buy a new camera for the trip. However, the latest smartphone cameras also provide many capabilities. If you’re relying on your phone camera, consider getting a zoom lens that works for your phone. You’ll want a lens with a zoom range of at least 200mm. A fast shutter speed of at least 1/500th of a second is essential to capture fast-paced action on the field. Setting your camera to burst mode, which lets you take multiple shots at once, is a good technique for sporting events. This ensures you won’t miss a crucial play.
Make Plans Early
The Super Bowl in Phoenix is sure to be a massively popular event, so make your plans early. You may want to shop for packages that include a hotel room and/or airfare. Tickets typically sell out fast, so ensure you’re ready when they become available. Then get your favorite people together and plan your excursion to Phoenix.